Search This Blog

Thursday 29 October 2015

Getting The Hang Of It

Oct. 28, the second day at the orphanage.

I am now starting to learn a little more Swahili, and alot more of the orphans name. Today was an average day with singing, playing and teaching. One little guy just wanted to be carried around the whole day. Construction of the dormitories was halted today due to lack of funds. This project is very important, as it gives the orphans a home, and capable people to care for them 24 hours a day. They will always have enough to eat, and just be in an all around better living situation. As well, this cuts the commute out of their day, some having to walk hours to get to the orphanage. My gofundme account remains open, and all the money I receive will go towards this project. I learned not to trust dala dala touts today as one tried to short me 4500 shillings. Other than that, a typical day in Tanzania! My original post for this day did not post so this is a watered down version of what I had originally written.

I hope to post more photos soon, but there are a couple reasons why I haven't been taking many:

People always want you to pay to take photos
Anything that could be remotely considered a strategic target is off limits
Trying to make yourself seem less like a tourist is essential, so whipping your phone out all the time to take pictures is I'll advised
Orphans are fascinated by phones so if you're not careful you can be mobbed

Having said all that I am getting more ballsy so there should be more photos in later posts.

Kwaheri!

No comments:

Post a Comment