Search This Blog

Saturday 31 October 2015

Shanga House

Oct 31

Today was the day I found out the thing I miss most from Canada, a washing machine. It's all hand washing here, and in total it took me about an hour and a half to do my laundry, and that was going fast too. On the other hand I am actually getting really good at navigating the city, and even made it all the way to the ATM and back on my own today, easily fending off the advances of pushy street children and vendors. Around lunch time today we went to Shanga House, a place were disabled people make crafts. They are mostly blind deaf or paralazied, and everything is made from recycled materials. There are about 40 workers there in total. While there I had some delecious Tanzanian coffee, then we took a tour of the workshops, where a wide variety of things are made, including various items made of fabric, woven and sewn, blown glass beads jewellery and ornaments. All the glass and beads are made of melted down bottles. Some of their items support various causes other than the disabled people as well, for example $2 from every stuffed elephant goes towards saving elephants from poaching. After this it was a fairly relaxed afternoon, then off to the club, which was actually mostly outdoors, with the dancefloor being a massive wooden deck. We danced untill 3 and then went home.

Pictures
1. my laundry adventure
2. A deaf worker blowing glass at Shanga House

No comments:

Post a Comment