Search This Blog

Friday 6 November 2015

Guitar

Nov. 5

Today I brought my guitar to the orphanage, which was a big hit. We took a cab on the way there because I wasn't ready to brave the dala dala with my guitar yet. Even on the short trip to where the first taxi driver was parked there were many cries of "hey mzungu, play guitar!". I was greeted much the same way at the orphanage and after exiting the office was mobbed by children. It was impossible to play at first because there were so many of them touching the strings and fiddling with the tuning heads, it was the first concert I needed security guards for. Soon the crowd dissipated and I would only have four or five near me at a tine, which was manageable. The guitar and singing was a very fun and positive environment for the children. On the way back I decided to take the dala dala, which wasn't as much of a hassle as I expected. However on the walk home the constant attempts to get my attention were slightly annoying. Various people asking me about the guitar, or to jam with them, etc. Today was declared a national holiday as it was the swearing in of the new (CCM) president, so many of the other volunteers had a restful day as most other schools and orphanages were closed. I enjoyed fresh mangos this afternoon again, one of my favourite foods here. I will be going out to Via Via tonight again, so I think I will end my post here! More to come tomorrow, as I will be checking out the music teaching project!

1 comment:

  1. AWESOME. Looking forward to more news as it becomes available! Have Fun
    SMOORE

    ReplyDelete