Search This Blog

Wednesday 4 November 2015

Stickers and Stuff

Nov 3-4

Once again blogger has failed me, so I'm doing another post for two days. Some new dala dala experiences included a physical fight over us between money collectors almost happening, and riding in the front seat, which was much nicer than standing. Contrary to Monday, we had tons of volunteers Tuesday and  Wednesday, so I got to do one on one with students in class three both days. I would have a book of stickers, and they would have to read a word and find the corresponding sticker, then write the word. For example with one child I did Airplane, Almonds, Ant and Apple. This was very fun for them as they got to have colourful stickers in their book, and stuff like that does not happen very often for them. As well on Monday we got to have a water fight, using cups to try to splash water on others. Today, I was giving kids rides on my shoulders for the whole second break, which was exhausting. On Monday night we went to Via Via, normally a party location, but on Tuesdays it is movie night. Playing was The Good Lie, a movie about refugees from  Sudan. Interesting to see some parallels in culture etc., even though they obviously had it much worse than anyone I have met here. On another note, my fundraising attempts have been a huge success, and we have hit $1000! Some of the girls are starting to fundraise as well so we should be getting enough to get the housing project well underway again.

Pictures:
1-2 stickers!
3-4 before I collapsed from exhaustion
5 sunset over Arusha

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the posts and photos Daniel. Your work at Upendo is so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey ...great work ... tomorrow I will spread the word in class about your fantastic work!!

    ReplyDelete